Colonel Heidi A. Paulson is the Commander, Air Force Manpower Analysis Agency, Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph, Texas. She is responsible for providing Air Force leaders at all levels the tools to identify essential manpower required to effectively and efficiently accomplish the Air Force mission. She exercises operational control of six geographically separated units and directs Manpower Analysis’ efforts to determine manpower requirements, develop programming factors, conduct Air Force continuous process improvement engagements, and special studies.
Prior to assuming command, Colonel Paulson served as the Strategic Deterrence and Nuclear Policy Division Chief, Joint Staff Strategic Plans and Policy Directorate, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C. She was responsible for developing Joint Staff policy on strategic deterrence, extended deterrence, and nuclear forces in support of the National Military Strategy. Colonel Paulson’s other staff assignments include tours as a Special Assistant to the Commander, U.S. Strategic Command, Deputy Director for Safety at 20th Air Force, and Chief of the Commander’s Action Group at Air Force Global Strike Command.
Colonel Paulson entered the Air Force as a distinguished graduate in 1991 through the Reserve Officer Training Corps at the University of Delaware. After completing Undergraduate Missile Training at Vandenberg AFB, CA as a distinguished graduate, Colonel Paulson held several ICBM and Space operations assignments including instructor, flight commander, command evaluator, director of operations, and squadron commander. Additionally, she served as a strategic operations officer and strike advisor aboard the National Airborne Operations Center. Colonel Paulson has also deployed to Kabul Afghanistan in support of Operation ENDURING FREEDOM as the Combined Forces Command-Afghanistan Plans Directorate Executive Officer.
1991 Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration, University of Delaware, Newark, Del.
Distinguished Graduate, Reserve Officer Training Corps. 1992 Distinguished Graduate, Undergraduate Missile Training, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
1995 Squadron Officers School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2003 Distinguished Graduate, Space Control Initial Qualification Training, Schriever AFB, Colo.
2004 Joint Forces Staff College, Naval Station Norfolk, Norfolk, Va.
2009 Master of Military Operational Art and Science, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2015 Master of Strategic Studies, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. November 1991–December 1995, Missile Combat Crew Commander, Instructor/Evaluator, and Chief, Plans and Programs, 321st Missile Wing, Grand Forks AFB, N.D.
2. December 1995–March 1998, ICBM Instructor/Evaluator, 392nd Training Squadron, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
3. March 1998–September 2002, Break in Service.
4. September 2002–February 2004, Operations Flight Commander, Deputy Chief, Standardization and Evaluation Section, 1st Space Control Squadron, Cheyenne Mountain AFS, Colo.
5. February 2004–May 2005, Executive Officer, 21st Space Wing, Peterson AFB, Colo.
6. May 2005–June 2006, NAOC Strategic Operations Officer/Strike Advisor, National Airborne Operations Center, USSTRATCOM J3, Offutt AFB, Neb.
7. June 2006–June 2008, Special Assistant to the Commander, Commander’s Action Group, USSTRATCOM J004, Offutt AFB, Neb.
8. July 2008–June 2009, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
9. June 2009–May 2010, Deputy Director, Safety & Nuclear Surety, 20th AF, FE Warren AFB, Wyo.
10. May 2010–July 2011, Director of Operations, 320th Missile Squadron, FE Warren, AFB, Wyo.
11. July 2011–January 2013, Commander, 740th Missile Squadron, Minot AFB, N.D.
12. January 2013–June 2014, Director, Commander’s Action Group, AFGSC, Barksdale AFB, La.
13. July 2014–June 2015, Student, Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
14. June 2015–March 2017, Division Chief, Strategic Deterrence and Nuclear Policy Division, Deputy Directorate for Strategic Stability, Joint Staff J5, Pentagon, D.C.
15. March 2017–present, Commander, Air Force Manpower Analysis Agency, Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph, Texas.
Badges: Master Missile Badge with operations designator; Senior Space Badge; Basic Officer Aircrew Member Badge Weapon Systems: Minuteman III, REACT A Minuteman III, WS-133B (AKA Deuce Classic)
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Medal with bronze star
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with campaign star
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Air & Space Campaign Medal with bronze star
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Aug. 16, 1991
First Lieutenant Aug. 16, 1993
Captain Aug. 16, 1995
Major May 1, 2005
Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 2009
Colonel June 1, 2015